- Surface area of the surface(s) to be painted.
- Spreading rate of the paint being used.
- The number of coats needed.
- To paint the living room walls - not including the ceiling. The walls are 3m high, with a total of 18m of wall length (allowing for doors and windows) the surface area is 3m x 18m = 54m2.
- The walls are currently painted and are in good condition. Resene Zylone Sheen - low sheen acrylic is selected and has a theoretical spreading rate of 11 square metres per litre.
- Because the walls are previously painted and in good condition, only two coats of Zylone Sheen will be required.
- If you know the 'Surface area' enter it in the 'Surface area' box below, then 'Spreading rate' and 'Number of coats', then click the 'Calculate' button.
- To calculate the surface area enter 'Height/length' and 'Width' of area to be painted, click 'Calculate Surface Area' and enter spreading rate and number of coats, click 'Calculate'.
To get a rough idea of how much paint you will approximately need when you only have house plans to work from, use the following calculations…
Look for the statement of area on the house plans – e.g. 186m2
Divide this by
10 = litres of sealer for ceilings
5 = litres of 2 coats for ceilings
4 = litres of sealer for walls
2 = litres of 2 coats for walls
25 = litres of primer for trim/doors/frames
15 = litres of 2 coats for trim/doors/frames
Enter the square area (m2) of house plan below and press "Calculate"
litres of sealer for ceilings
litres of 2 coats for ceilings
litres of sealer for walls
litres of 2 coats for walls
litres of primer for trim/doors/frames
litres of 2 coats for trim/doors/frames
TOCON Pro Painters